Heading Home

SRSYO musicians, chaperones, and symphony staff are heading home today, flying out of Budapest to Munich for the connection back to San Francisco. It seems like yesterday that we were in Munich finding for the first time the tour buses that have become so familiar in the last ten days. Everyone is in their blue T-shirts for the journey home. Time to look back at a very successful tour.

I asked some of the musicians to look back over the trip and tell me how they feel now that it's over. Thomas Gosnell (trombone) said "It went by super quick. I feel like it was the shortest trip I've ever taken and the longest." Elexa Yee (cello) said "I didn't think I was going to like Europe, but now I want to study abroad here." Brian Barnes (tuba) said "I love how on every street and every corner there's history here in Europe. I'm definitely going to come back and live here for a year or two."

"I came into this tour not having been out of the country before, really, and I didn't know a lot of people even in our own orchestra. I made a lot of new friends and connections and I feel very lucky to have played in such beautiful venues," remarked Hopi Caiazzo (cello). "I think this will remain an inspiration and motivation to continue my pursuit of music," said Kay Heon (violin). Claire Wu (violin), the youngest member of the tour group (11 years old), said. "It was fun, but I think I'm ready to go back." Robin Gibson (clarinet, violin) said "I feel kind of enlightened as a musician because I got to see all the places where some of the famous composers were. It was amazing to see where so much famous music originated. The trip has sparked my curiosity and now I want to learn more."

The consensus seems to be that the tour was an adventure and an inspiration. I have no doubt the experiences of our young SRSYO musicians in Europe will stay with them and provide motivation for a lifetime.


Comments

  1. We appreciate this blog so very much and are looking forward to including it in Robin's photo book of his trip.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts